In this episode, Raphael Collazo, an experienced commercial real estate agent, and author discusses the unique aspects of retail real estate compared to multifamily and unit-based real estate investments, and how it could be a better fit for some investors. Rafael shares his journey into commercial real estate, how he became interested in the field, and why he chose retail over other types of real estate investments. He also provides insight into the current market conditions and how investors can best capitalize on them.
[00:01 - 05:51] Opening Segment
- Introducing Raphael to the show
- Brief background and career
- Raphael shares his story and how he got into the commercial real estate space, and why he chose retail over other types of real estate
[05:52 - 16:50] Transitioning Into Commercial Real Estate
- Before transitioning, Raphael was in a consulting role
- Constant traveling and moving
- Buying a fourplex and house hacked it to survive during the first two years of commercial brokerage
- Retail is a brutal business and going into Covid in 2019 was difficult due to the world shutdown
[16:51 - 23:14] Types of Commercial Real Estate and Leases
- Commercial real estate can be divided into two types, triple net, and modified gross leases
- Triple net leases are where the tenant pays their pro rata share of taxes, insurance, and general maintenance costs
- Modified gross leases are where the tenant is not responsible for these costs
- Leases in commercial real estate can vary greatly in terms of price and rent
- A triple net lease is usually more expensive than a modified gross lease, but a percentage lease is also possible
- To determine the appropriate rent for space, commercial property assessment data must be gathered.
- A percentage lease would be above and beyond a triple net lease and would require the tenant to pay an additional 5% of their sales as rent
- Retail over multifamily typically has higher overhead costs and requires more staff to run
[23:15 - 32:17] The Quattro Trio
- What is your superpower as it relates to your business or profession?
- The ability to break down complex ideas into easy-to-understand concepts
- What is your biggest failure to date and what did it teach you?
- A failed catering business
- Book, podcast, or gift for the audience
- Philanthropic cause
- See the links below to connect with Raphael
Connect with Raphael through LinkedIn, Facebook, or visit www.RaphaelCollazo.com.
LEAVE A 5-STAR REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode. Find out how team Quattro can help you by visiting www.TheQuattroWay.com.
Real Estate Runway Podcast is all about alternative business and investment strategies to help you amplify life, and maximize wealth! Click here to find out more about the host, Chad Sutton.