109: God is Grey w/ Brenda Marie Davies
All month in January, we’re talking about purity culture. I want to hold various discussions on sex to ramp up the Parenting After Purity Culture conference happening in February.
Today, I’m so excited to be talking to Brena Marie Davies about the topic. Brenda is the founder of the popular YouTube channel, God Is Grey, as well as the author of On Her Knees: Memoir of a Prayerful Jezebel.
Brenda’s book tells the story of her years growing up as a conservative Christian. Of course, with that upbringing came purity culture. In this episode, Brenda shares some of that story. She had done the amazing work of redeeming some of the toxicity from that purity culture upbringing and now helps others understand God. Tune in to hear all about her faith history, how she’s shifted in her faith, and detoxing from purity culture.
* Brenda’s deconstruction journey.
* How her view of God has changed and how that parallels her detox from purity culture.
* How purity culture affects our health and wellbeing in every way.
* Why the idea of our sexuality needs to be expanded.
* Allowing ourselves to experience pleasure and increase our sensualities.
* How purity culture still affects Brenda and how she overcomes those narratives that still creep up on her.
* How to teach our kids to know how to check in with their bodies.
* The danger of the purity culture stigma.
* How to talk about sex out of love and a desire for health instead of out of fear.
Links (affiliates included):
Brenda’s website: https://www.godisgrey.com
On Her Knees: Memoir of a Prayerful Jezebel: https://amzn.to/359YljS
Parenting After Purity Culture Conference - https://www.parentingforwardconference.com
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team - https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book - https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com