The mental status exam is a keystone of the neurologic assessment. Dr. Andrea Casher (Cooper University Hospital) builds upon this metaphor in our program this week. Making a special appearance is US President Donald Trump, who underwent a mental status exam and recounts his experience.
Produced by James E. Siegler and Andrea Casher. Music courtesy of Unheard Music Concepts, Purple Planet Music, Lee Rosevere, and Scott Holmes. The opening theme was composed by Jimothy Dalton. Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. Unless otherwise mentioned in the podcast, no competing financial interests exist in the content of this episode. BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended for medical education only and should not be used for clinical decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the podcast.
* Tombaugh TN and McIntyre NJ. The mini-mental state examination: a comprehensive review. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1992;40:922-35.
* Nasreddine ZS, Phillips NA, Bedirian V, Charbonneau S, Whitehead V, Collin I, Cummings JL and Chertkow H. The Montreal Cognitive Assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53:695-9.
* Dong Y, Sharma VK, Chan BP, Venketasubramanian N, Teoh HL, Seet RC, Tanicala S, Chan YH and Chen C. The Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) is superior to the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) for the detection of vascular cognitive impairment after acute stroke. Journal of the neurological sciences. 2010;299:15-8.
* Gorno-Tempini ML, Hillis AE, Weintraub S, Kertesz A, Mendez M, Cappa SF, Ogar JM, Rohrer JD, Black S, Boeve BF, Manes F, Dronkers NF, Vandenberghe R, Rascovsky K, Patterson K, Miller BL, Knopman DS, Hodges JR, Mesulam MM and Grossman M. Classification of primary progressive aphasia and its variants. Neurology. 2011;76:1006-14.
* Ng KP, Chiew HJ, Lim L, Rosa-Neto P, Kandiah N and Gauthier S. The influence of language and culture on cognitive assessment tools in the diagnosis of early cognitive impairment and dementia. Expert review of neurotherapeutics. 2018;18:859-869.
* Rabinovitz B, Jaywant A and Fridman CB. Neuropsychological functioning in severe acute respiratory disorders caused by the coronavirus: implications for the current COVID-19 pandemic. Clin Neuropsychol. 2020:1-27.