Reed Duchscher Reveals Creator Secrets Learned From Managing MrBeast, Dude Perfect, Typical Gamer & More (Over 1.7B Views!)
Today’s guest is Reed Duchscher of Night Media, a multimedia talent management company and creative outpost for the largest creators on the internet. Reed’s company has worked with people such as MrBeast, Typical Gamer, and other voices from the most influential of the influential. In today’s episode we talk about how Reed founded Night Media and the role he is playing in shaping the future of the content creator business model. Our conversation begins with Reed’s journey from working as an NFL sports agent to founding Night Media in 2015. From there, we talk about the dynamic between content creators and managers, what informs Night Media’s choice for who to work with, and the services managers can offer to creators on the back end. Reed gets into the value he is adding to the creator community through the Creator Economics podcast, the work he did with MrBeast in launching the MrBeast burger, and his vision to map the blueprint for how to turn creators into sustainable virtual digital companies. We talk about the different products that creators can sell, whether creators should take equity or cash in partnerships, why creator communities are more important than subscriber count, and a whole bunch more in today’s conversation. Be sure to tune into this one.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [01:15] Introducing Reed Duchscher and his journey to working with content creators.
- [02:22] The business model at Night Media; why it’s not built like an agency.
- [03:10] How Night Media thinks about the types of clients it signs.
- [04:39] Prioritizing engagement and community over subscriber count.
- [06:10] What creators should expect from managers.
- [07:07] Why creators need to be good at creating communities.
- [08:38] Other creators Night Media is interested in/working with.
- [10:35] Making a new blueprint for what creators can do with their fan base.
- [10:50] The story of the development of the MrBeast burger.
- [14:04] Some indications of the revenue MrBeast Burger is generating.
- [15:21] Creator-focused educational content discussed in the Creator Economics podcast.
- [17:08] Reed’s thoughts on content creators getting cash or equity on collaborations.
- [20:03] Digital products and merchandise types open to creators.
- [21:50] The business infrastructure opportunities most creators miss.
- [22:45] Why creators are going to start having to raise capital.
- [23:32] Spend and production team size on MrBeast videos.
- [24:26] Blockchain and whether people will buy a small percentage of channels.
- [25:48] How Reed connected with the team of creators he worked with.
- [26:55] Favorite business tools of Reed’s.
- [27:55] Reed’s favorite business book.
- [28:20] The best way for people to find Reed online.
Resources From The Interview:
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Leveling Up on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect with Eric Siu: