136. Temptation Bundling: A Simple Trick to Reach Your Goals, a Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
Today we are going to be talking about a really cool trick called temptation bundling. You may have noticed this is a shorter episode than we usually have on the podcast and that is because while temptation bundling can make a huge impact on your life and business, it doesn’t have to be all that complicated. (Hooray!)
In this episode, you’ll learn what temptation bundling is, how it works, some ways I have done this myself in my own work, and tips on how you can jump in and start bundling yourself! I hope you love everything recommended via The Brainy Business! Everything was independently reviewed and selected by me, Melina Palmer. So you know, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. That means if you decide to shop from the links on this page (via Amazon or others), The Brainy Business may collect a share of sales or other compensation.
* [01:03] In this episode, you’ll learn what temptation bundling is, how it works, some ways I have done this myself in my own work, and tips on how you can use it too.
* [02:15] One of my favorite things about this concept is how simple it is. This is actually something I’ve done naturally most of my life before it had a name.
* [03:17] When I required some extra motivation, I created little milestone moments and rewards to keep myself motivated.
* [03:57] The essence of temptation bundling is taking something you should do but may have a long term reward and not be super appealing at the moment, and bundle it with something you really want to do right now.
* [05:01] In the foundational research study led by professor Katy Milkman, participants agreed to have their iPods locked up at the gym so they could only access them when they went to work out. They exercised more and were happier about it.
* [06:10] A slight change in routine can upend newly forming habits and make them hard to start up again if you aren’t careful, so it is important to keep that all in mind as you set up your own temptation bundling techniques and timelines.
* [07:26] Here’s another great thing about temptation bundling: pretty much anything can be a candidate for the bundle, and what you set up doesn’t necessarily need to be what someone else would want or need.
* [09:04] Temptation bundling uses a “now” activity to help achieve a longer-term goal and overcome time discounting.
* [09:37] Most multitasking doesn’t work well. As you are likely going to be looking for ways to implement this for your work goals (at least some of the time), I don’t want you to feel limited by needing to only use this while doing two things at once.
* [10:19] To help to find your candidates for temptation bundling start by looking for something you love to do in your spare time.
* [11:55] The two items that you want to bundle don’t have to be related. Choose any reward and tie to the action ahead of time (download your freebie worksheet here to get started).
* [12:56] Temptation bundling is everywhere. You just need to find the cheese to your own personal life broccoli and you’ll be achieving goals left and right.
* [13:08] Melina’s closing reflections.
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts or Android. If you like what you heard, please leave a review on iTunes and share what you liked about the show. Let’s connect:
* The Brainy Business® on Facebook
* The Brainy Business on Twitter
* The Brainy Business on Instagram
* The Brainy Business on LinkedIn
* Melina on LinkedIn
* The Brainy Business on Youtube More from The Brainy Business:
* Master Your Mindset Mini-Course
* BE Thoughtful Revolution - use code BRAINY to save 10%
* Get Your FREE ebook
* Melina’s John Mayer Pandora Station! Listen to what she listens to while working. Past Episodes and Other Important Links:
* Holding the Hunger Games Hostage at the Gym: An Evaluation of Temptation Bundling
* Time Discounting
* Interview With Nir Eyal
* Indistractable by Nir Eyal
* How to Organize Your Brain with Behavioral Economics Check out (and preorder!) my upcoming book on Amazon, Bookshop, and Barnes & Noble
If you are outside the US, please complete this form to be first to know when the book is available near you AND to help show there is a presence in your country to speed along international agreements and get it to you faster!