Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
In this episode, I'm at my home in Los Angeles with my uncle, Rhett Diessner, a Professor of Psychology who has a special interest in aesthetics and beauty. We talk about moral reasoning, materialism, and how he became a Baha'i. We discuss the psychology of beauty, how there's no love without beauty, and that love holds the whole universe together. Rhett tells me how humans are all intimately linked, and how beauty will literally help save the world. I hope you enjoy the conversation!
To find out more about some of the things we covered in this episode, check out the following links:
* I mention my podcast with Reza Aslan called 'Metaphysical Milkshake’: https://bit.ly/3avGT9K
* Rhett mentions the Baha'i principle of the ‘independent investigation of truth’: https://bit.ly/39vceJv
* Rhett mentions Baha’i Firesides: https://bit.ly/3arsZW2
* Rhett and I talk about 'Some Answered Questions' by Abdu'l-Baha: https://bit.ly/39vc8S3
* Rhett mentions the 'The Promise of World Peace’ by the Universal House of Justice: https://bit.ly/3aAKT98
* Rhett mentions ‘The Book of Certitude (Kitab-i-Iqan)’ by Baha’u’llah: https://bit.ly/38qovxG
* Rhett shares the following quote from 'The Most Holy Book (Kitab-i-Aqdas)’ by Baha'u'llah: "Observe My commandments, for the love of My beauty.”: https://bit.ly/2IuKGbb
* Rhett and I talk about Shoghi Effendi spending time in Switzerland. Find out more about Shoghi Effendi from this article: https://bit.ly/39rk9HW
* View the photograph Rhett took of the bench he mentions in the podcast here: https://bit.ly/38tkmJh
* Rhett mentions Dr. Hossein Danesh, and you can listen to some of his talks here:
- ‘Making Peace Our New Year's Resolution’: https://bit.ly/3cDTyJt
- ‘Decisions, Decisions, Decisions: The Challenge of Making Right Decisions’: https://bit.ly/2Ipz2hT
* Rhett mentions working with the renowned American psychologist, Lawrence Kohlberg: https://bit.ly/2TJ7XeY
* Rhett mentions the works of Carol Gilligan and her book 'In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women’s Development’: https://amzn.to/2PO9UFQ
* Rhett and I mention Dr. Steven Phelps, who was a guest on the Baha'i Blogcast twice:
- Baha’i Blogcast with Rainn Wilson – Episode 7: Steven Phelps: https://bit.ly/2PTN7Zf
- [VIDEO] Baha'i Blogcast with Rainn Wilson - Episode 37: Physics and Mysticism with Steven Phelps: https://bit.ly/2VWea9Q
* Rhett mentions the ‘Baha’i World Centre’ (http://www.bwc.org/), and you may find this Baha’i Blog article ‘Why is the Baha’i World Centre in Israel?’ interesting: https://bit.ly/2IsLihu
* Rhett mentions 'The Tablet of Ahmad' by Baha'u'llah which you can read here: https://bit.ly/2vxvM1j and also read about in this article called ‘The Tablet of Ahmad: Who Was Ahmad?’: https://bit.ly/2ImpgwT
* Rhett mentions the 'Long Obligatory Prayer' by Baha'u'llah, which you can read here: https://bit.ly/2v25HqQ and also read about in this article called 'A Prayer to Power Up Your Day: The Long Obligatory Prayer': https://bit.ly/38vTvw2
* Rhett quotes from the 'The Seven Valleys' by Baha'u'llah: "...see every face with the beauty of a friend...". You can read 'The Seven Valleys' here: https://bit.ly/32VC46Z and learn more about it from this article called ‘An Introduction to The Seven Valleys’: https://bit.ly/38yX0SI
Be sure to subscribe to the Baha’i Blogcast for more episodes on:
* YouTube: bit.ly/2JTNmBO
* iTunes: apple.co/2leHPHL
* Soundcloud: @bahaiblogcast
* Spotify: spoti.fi/2IXRAnb
If you would like to find out more about the Baha'i Faith visit BAHAI.ORG, and for more great Baha'i-inspired content check out BAHAIBLOG.NET: bahaiblog.net/
Thanks for listening!