Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
In this episode I speak with Hong Kong based Chinese soul-pop superstar Khalil Fong, otherwise known in Chinese as 方大同, which is "Fang Da Tong". Khalil has been very instrumental in bringing an eclectic mix of international styles of music to Chinese audiences, but especially Soul music and R'n'B. Besides creating hit songs, Khalil has been recognized as a positive role model for his upright character. In this interview we talk about his musical influences and what inspired him to pursue a career in music. He tells me what his songs are about and how his faith inspires his music and everything he does. We discuss spirituality in China, being a vegetarian, having his own record label, what really draws him to the Faith, the exciting new project for children that he's working on with his mother, and the advice he would give to other aspiring artists.
To find out more about Khalil Fong and some of the things we covered in the interview, check out the following links:
* Khalil Fong's official website: khalilfong.com/en
* Khalil Fong's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/soulboykhalilfong
* Khalil Fong's YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/KhalilFongofficial
* Fu Music is Khalil Fong's record label: www.fringebacker.com/en/t/fu-backer/
* Khalil refers to a song about suicide called 'Goodbye Melody Rose' which can be found on the album 'This Love': https://itunes.apple.com/my/album/%E6%84%9B%E6%84%9B%E6%84%9B/id220365864?i=220365871
* Excerpts from the following songs were used in the interview (with permission):
i. "Listen" found on the album JTW: https://itunes.apple.com/my/album/jtw-%E8%A5%BF%E9%81%8A%E8%A8%98-deluxe/id1195003851
(You can also watch the music video for 'Listen' here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLa3A2kfWg)
ii. "Goodbye Melody Rose" found on the album 'This Love': https://itunes.apple.com/my/album/%E6%84%9B%E6%84%9B%E6%84%9B/id220365864?i=220365871
iii. "夢蝴蝶" found on the album JTW: https://itunes.apple.com/my/album/jtw-%E8%A5%BF%E9%81%8A%E8%A8%98-deluxe/id1195003851
* Khalil mentions the Baha'i Blogcast interview with Andy Grammer: http://bahaiblog.net/site/2016/07/bahai-blogcast-rainn-wilson-episode-6-andy-grammer-aijia/
* Khalil refers to the following Baha'i quote from the Hidden Words of Baha'u'llah:
"O SON OF BEING! Bring thyself to account each day ere thou art summoned to a reckoning; for death, unheralded, shall come upon thee and thou shalt be called to give account for thy deeds." -Baha'u'llah
Be sure to ‘subscribe’ to the Baha’i Blogcast for more weekly episodes on:
You can also stream the Blogcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4mSeu2veRnU1XPBAa0hf9i
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for listening!