Hello and welcome to the Baha’i Blogcast with me your host, Rainn Wilson.
In this series of podcasts I interview members of the Baha’i Faith and friends from all over the world about their hearts, and minds, and souls, their spiritual journeys, what they’re interested in, and what makes them tick.
In this episode I speak with Nader Saiedi, Taslimi Foundation Professor of Baha’i Studies in the department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures at University of California. Born in Tehran, Iran, and having lived in the US since 1978, professor Saiedi tells me about his personal journey from being a staunch Marxist to becoming a Baha'i, and how he was humbled by the sacred Baha'i Writings and moved by the steadfastness of the Baha'is being persecuted in Iran. Among other things, we talk about slavery, historical consciousness, and the thousands of untranslated and unpublished tablets by the Bab and Baha'u'llah he's been studying recently. Hope you enjoy the conversation!
To find out more about Nader Saiedi and some of the things we covered in this podcast, check out the following links:
* You can find out more about Dr. Nader Saiedi here: https://bahaikipedia.org/Nader_Saiedi
* Dr. Saiedi is the author of 'Logos and Civilization' and 'Gate of the Heart'.
* You may be interested in this talk by Dr. Nader Saiedi titled 'From World War to World Peace': http://bahaiblog.net/site/2017/06/world-war-world-peace-talk-dr-nader-saiedi/
* You may also enjoy a series of 11 talks by Dr. Saiedi called 'Text and Context in the Baha’i Heroic Age': https://soundcloud.com/bahai-blog/sets/nader-saiedi-text-and-context
* In the interview, Nader makes reference to 'The Book of Certitude' by Baha’u’llah and 'The Secret of Divine Civilization' by Abdu’l-Baha which you can find here: http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/bahaullah/kitab-i-iqan/ and http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/abdul-baha/secret-divine-civilization/
* In the interview I mention the following excerpt from the Writings of Baha'u'llah: "O SON OF DUST! Verily I say unto thee: Of all men the most negligent is he that disputeth idly and seeketh to advance himself over his brother. Say, O brethren! Let deeds, not words, be your adorning."
* Nader mentions an excerpt from the following quote taken from the book 'Epistle to the Son of the Wolf' by Baha’u’llah: “Verily, We shall render Thee victorious by Thyself and by Thy Pen. Grieve Thou not for that which hath befallen Thee, neither be Thou afraid, for Thou art in safety. Erelong will God raise up the treasures of the earth—men who will aid Thee through Thyself and through Thy Name, wherewith God hath revived the hearts of such as have recognized Him.” You can find the book here: http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/bahaullah/epistle-son-wolf/
* I make reference to my Baha’i Blogcast interview with Native American Baha’i Kevin Locke which you can listen to here: http://bahaiblog.net/site/2017/08/bahai-blogcast-rainn-wilson-episode-19-kevin-locke/
Be sure to ‘subscribe’ to the Baha’i Blogcast for more weekly episodes on:
You can also stream the Blogcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7u380ZQPWuEViqO7mGtiGl
If you would like to find out more about the Baha'i Faith visit BAHAI.ORG, and for more great Baha'i-inspired content check out http://BAHAIBLOG.NET.
Thanks for listening!