#501: Steven Pressfield on The Artist’s Journey, the Wisdom of Little Successes, Shadow Careers, and Overcoming Resistance
Tim Ferriss Show
Podcast Notes Key Takeaways
* Writing is a transaction you make with the reader
* He is giving you a very valuable commodity, his time and attention
* You’ve got to give something valuable back
* “You can’t just put some crap out there and expect that they’re obligated to read it or watch it, because they won’t watch it.” Steven Pressfield
* The hero’s journey of our lives takes us to find out who we really are and what is our calling
* We shed all conditioning from parents and culture
* The Artist’s journey entails finding out the gifts you have to offer to the World and sharing them
* Little Successes Approach
* From the moment you wake up, to the moment you sit down to write, you produce as many little successes as you can to create momentum
* Examples are: going to the gym, brushing your teeth, etc…
* You build up little successes so that when you start your work, you’re able to immediately get into flow
* As artists, we are trying to get beyond the ego
* But as we start shifting from our ego to our Self, the ego feels threatened
* It creates Resistance to take us away from our Self
* The Shadow Career
* When we are afraid to pursue what we really want to do, we’ll pursue something adjacent to it
* “Are you living the drugs-and-booze half of the musician’s life, without actually writing the music?” Steven Pressfield
* Steven advises doing some introspection work to figure out what your real dream is
* Then you can use your rational mind, to figure out what’s the best way to go about it
Read the full notes @ podcastnotes.org
Steven Pressfield on The Artist’s Journey, the Wisdom of Little Successes, Shadow Careers, and Overcoming Resistance | Brought to you by Tonal smart home gym, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, the best version of LinkedIn for sales professionals, and Athletic Greens all-in-one nutritional supplement. More on all three below.
Steven Pressfield (@SPressfield), a former Marine and graduate of Duke University, became an overnight success as a writer after 30 years of abject failure. Identifying the omnipresence of “Resistance,” the interior force of self-sabotage he described in The War of Art, has saved his own artistic life and has helped many others struggling to find their creative calling. Steven’s novels of the ancient world, including the nonfiction The Warrior Ethos, are required reading at West Point, Annapolis, and in the Marine Corps. He lives in Los Angeles.
His new book is A Man at Arms, an epic saga about a reluctant hero, the Roman Empire, and the rise of a new faith.
This episode is brought to you by Tonal! Tonal is the world’s most intelligent home gym and personal trainer. It is precision engineered and designed to be the world’s most advanced strength studio. Tonal uses breakthrough technology—like adaptive digital weights and A.I. learning—together with the best experts in resistance training so you get stronger, faster. Every program is personalized to your body using A.I., and smart features check your form in real time, just like a personal trainer.
Try Tonal, the world’s smartest home gym, for 30 days in your home, and if you don’t love it, you can return it for a full refund. Visit Tonal.com for $100 off their smart accessories when you use promo code TIM at checkout.
This episode is also brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually Athletic Greens, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, Athletic Greens is offering you their Vitamin D Liquid Formula free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit AthleticGreens.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive the free Vitamin D Liquid Formula (and five free travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive all-in-one daily greens product.
This episode is also brought to you by LinkedIn Sales Navigator! LinkedIn Sales Navigator is the best version of LinkedIn for sales professionals. Tap into the power of LinkedIn’s 700 million+ member network. LinkedIn Sales Navigator gives you 20 monthly InMail messages, Lead Recommendations, Unlimited Searches, Actionable Insights and News, and access to free courses on LinkedIn Learning. Target the right prospects and decision-makers, unlocking 15% more pipeline from sourced opportunities, a 17% lift when saving leads on Sales Navigator, and 42% larger deal sizes.
Start your 60-day free trial—that’s a two-month free trial!—of LinkedIn Sales Navigator today by going to LinkedIn.com/Navigator.
If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. I also love reading the reviews!
For show notes and past guests, please visit tim.blog/podcast.
Sign up for Tim’s email newsletter (“5-Bullet Friday”) at tim.blog/friday.
For transcripts of episodes, go to tim.blog/transcripts.
Discover Tim’s books: tim.blog/books.