Jun 7, 2022
#35 Journey into the world of design and creating inclusive toys with Linda Jiang
Excited to be joined by Linda Jiang, a toy designer living in Los Angeles, California. In this episode, we delve into the world of the doll industry and the representation of gender-inclusive doll design.
Linda Jiang (she/they) is a toy designer living in Los Angeles, California; unceded Tongva land. Linda’s work centers around designing inclusive toys to create social change through play. They designed the recent Barbie Inspiring Women doll, specifically the doll for Ida B Wells, and led the design for Creatable World, a gender-inclusive fashion doll line. When they're not designing, Linda enjoys building community with her friends, reading mystery novels, and learning fashion history through vintage clothing.
In this episode we talk about:
* Linda’s background and story of entering the world of design
* A day in the life of designing in the doll industry
* Queer BIPOC people in creative industries
* Gender-inclusive doll designs
You can find Linda at:
* Website: little-linda.com
* Instagram: @little.linda
You can follow me at:
* Instagram: @stevenwakabayashi
* YouTube: @stevenwakabayashi
* Subscribe to my weekly newsletter: mindfulmoments.substack.com