Blast off! Stock markets are setting records, with tech stocks leading the charge once again. “Don’t fight the Fed” should now encompass “don’t fight the Treasury, fiscal stimulus, vaccinations and investor demand for ‘real’ (after inflation) returns.” The Wall Street Journal reports that the “S&P 500 rose 14.3% from Election Day through Inauguration Day, its best performance on record for that period.” (The Wall Street Journal “Stocks Climb To Records, Led By Tech Sector” 1/21/21)
In retrospect, 2020 was an entire year for the record books:
- A once in a century global pandemic;
- Unprecedented, massive monetary and fiscal stimulus;
- A brief deep recession and the shortest bear market in U.S. history;
- A record-breaking stock market rally;
- The continuation of near record-low interest rates
- And the election of a new president with a very different policy agenda.
Portfolio rebalancing is just one of the actions on Christine Benz’ financial to-do list this year. In part 2 of our interview with Morningstar's Director of Personal Finance, she helps us get in personal financial shape for the year ahead.
WEALTHTRACK #1730 broadcast on January 22, 2021
Books mentioned in the episode:
30-Minute Money Solutions: A Step-by-Step Guide to Managing Your Finances: https://amzn.to/3ig0cZE
Morningstar Guide to Mutual Funds: Five-Star Strategies for Success: https://amzn.to/3ifVVp8
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/wealthtrack/support