Episode 99: How Are Parents Coping With Today's Social & Political Climate? Feat. Asian American Parents
We are a couple of weeks into 2021, the year following an U.S. election year unlike any other many of us in our lifetime have, and perhaps ever will, experience. And though we are hot off the inauguration last night where Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were formally sworn into office, marking the start of a new presidency, the intensity and aftermath of the social and political landscape from 2020 continues to affect us all.
Like many people, we have been feeling overwhelmed, and sometimes numb, by all that has happened, and continues to happen, in our world today. To help us understand, ground, and interpret the current world state from a different perspective than our own, we are going to speak with people we think have one of the hardest jobs when it comes to coping with today’s current events - parents.
Thank you to Kelly Lang, Michael Banaag, and Divya Anand for sharing their stories and perspectives with us!
And thank you to Divya for the resources below:
- Parents pause!: Talking race with White and non-Black children. Dig Boston, Anand, D., (2020, June 18).
- Think outside the book: Transformative justice using children’s literature in educational settings. Journal Of Curriculum Studies Research, 2(2), 122-143. (Pages 127-132) features a transformative justice questionnaire which would be useful for teachers and caregivers of young children, Anand, D., & Hsu, L. (2020).
- COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter: Examining Anti-Asian Racism and Anti-Blackness in US Education. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Higher Education, 5(1), 190–199, Anand, D., & Hsu, L. (2020).
This episode was edited by Michelle Hsieh.
P A R T N E R S mentioned in this episode:
- Function of Beauty: Get 20% off first purchase at FunctionofBeauty.com/ABG
- Issuu: Get a Free Account or 50% off a Premium Account at issuu.com/podcast with code: ABG
- Ned: Get 15% off first one-time order or 20% off first subscription order plus free shipping at _www.helloned.com/ABG_ or use code ABG at checkout.
- Skillshare: Get 2-Week Trial of Premium Membership at skillshare.com/ABG
- All of Us: A chance to get $25 gift card, personalized genetic results, and 1/10,000 fitbit devices at joinallofus.org/abg.
S U B S C R I B E T O U S !
- @asianbossgirl on Apple Podcasts / Spotify / YouTube / Instagram / Twitter / Facebook
- More about us at asianbossgirl.com
E – M A I L U S !
S U P P O R T U S !
- merch: asianbossgirl.myshopify.com
- donation: anchor.fm/asianbossgirl/support --- This episode is sponsored by · Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app --- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/asianbossgirl/message