Dr. Tanvi Gupta is an Associate Professor of Marketing at the Indian Institute of Management Udaipur (IIMU) and a practicing semiotician. Her academic research focuses on brand language and consumer culture—and her research has been published in Journal of Consumer Research—one of the top marketing journals in the world. Tanvi co-leads the Consumer Culture Lab at IIM Udaipur, a platform to foster research on consumer culture in India. She is also a member of the Editorial Review Board at the Journal of Retailing.
Before doing a Ph.D. in Marketing from IIM Bangalore, Tanvi has worked as a marketing research professional with Kantar. During her stint in the MR industry, she has worked on semiotics, brand tracking and advertising research—integrating both quantitative and qualitative methods. Tanvi also holds a communications masters from MICA, India with the director’s award for academic excellence.
Tanvi also has a flair for creativity and aesthetic sense. Being a trained graphics designer, her passion for visual aesthetics and culture drives her interest towards visual semiotics and brand language.
In this Super CMO episode with Swami, Dr. Tanvi talk about:
- Why Prof. Tanvi Chose Marketing & Semiotics
- What is Semiotics?
- Anthropology, Sociology & Psychology in Semiotics
- How Brands Can Use Semiotics
- How Brands Can Decode Indian Culture
- Binary Opposites, Plotting and Code Trajectory in Semiotics
- Residual Vs. Emergent -Lakme Vs L’Oreal - How Brands Can Revive Themselves
- The New Code Trajectory: Role Reversal in Brand Advertisments
- Can Tech Companies Apply Semiotics in Design?
- Culture Hues Embedded Into User Experience
- The Influence of Typefaces in Brand Building
- Semiotics and the Diverse Indian Culture
- The Consumer Culture Lab @ IIM Udaipur
- Tulsi, the YouTube Village of India
- How Brands Can Tap Into Emerging Regional Digital Identities
- Advice to Brands From a Semiotician
- Advice to a Young Marketer From a Semiotician
Listen to the podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Anchor | Google Podcasts | Amazon Music
Watch the full video episode on YouTube
For show notes and earlier guest interviews, please visit www.contraminds.com
To sign up for our weekly newsletter, please visit https://contraminds.substack.com/
Connect with Dr Tanvi: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tanviguptamr/
Connect with Swami: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sivaraman-swaminathan-9856501/
Connect with Vignesh: https://twitter.com/hrorq
Connect with us: