Your First 90 Days, Some DO's and DON'Ts
This week on the Catalyst Sale podcast we talk about your first 90 days in a new role, or with a new organization. Mike & Jody discuss some of their experiences in onboarding, considerations, and some general do's and don'ts.
Thank you for listening to the Catalyst Sale Podcast. You can find additional episodes at https://catalystsale.com/podcast
- What advice do we have for people who are taking on a new role?
- What type of information are you trying to gather in the first 90 days?
- How do you go about "learning" in the first 90 day period?
- Is there anything that you should NOT do during the transition period?
- What is one thing that we/I can do tomorrow to help make the first 90 days more successful?
- Whether onboarding a new client or moving into a new role in an organization, keep in mind - you don't know what you don't know.
- 30/60/90/180/365 plans are important. Failing to plan is a plan to fail.
- Try to remove or limit your preconceived notions.
- Listen & Learn as much as you can in that first 90 day period.
- Try to identify both the formal & informal leaders.
- Get to know your colleagues.
- Questions you can ask
- Why do you do the work that you do?
- What are some of the things the previous person did really well?
- Where did they struggle?
- What do you wish you knew in your first 90 days, that you know now?
- Do the research.
- Know the organization and the people, look for things that you may have in common.
- It is likely that one of the first people you will engage with is a member of the HR team. When you are working with HR, take the time to ask some questions.
- Build Rapport
- Gather Information
- Ask Questions
- Find people who are in a similar role.
- Be cognizant of their time.
- Have a plan.
- Have a conversation with the person who hired you, or brought you into the organization. Work with them to identify and clarify expectations.
- Be really careful about trying to implement new things, take the first 90 days to listen & learn.
- Things you can do to improve your success...
- Take notes
- Identify patterns
- Do NOT assume things
- Find your advocates within the organization.
- Don't let others control your calendar.
Thank you for rating and reviewing the podcast via iTunes, Google Play, or your favorite podcast platform. Ratings & reviews help others discover the podcast - thank you for helping us get our message out to the community.
Please send listener questions and feedback to email@example.com or contact us directly on twitter, facebook or LinkedIn.
Catalyst Sale Service Offerings
Growth Acceleration - Plateau Breakthrough
Product Market Fit
Subscribe to the Catalyst Sale Podcast
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Google Play
In every business, in every opportunity, there is someone who can help you navigate the internal challenges and close the deal. There is a Catalyst. We integrate process (Catalyst Sale Process), technology and people, with the purpose of accelerating revenue. Our thoughtful approach minimizes false starts that are common in emerging markets and high-growth environments. We continue to evolve our practice based on customer needs and emerging technology. We care about a thinking process that enables results versus a process that tells people what to do.
Sales is a Thinking Process.