Ep 160 | Organizing Your Legacy and End of Life Plan with Karen Purze
Karen Purze of Life in Motion Guide joins us to discuss a sensitive, but very relevant aspect of home organization - managing your legacy including vital information and end of life planning.
Our guest helps families make end of life plans and decisions so they can focus on what truly matters in the end - people not paperwork.
She is creator of lifeinmotionguide.com. When Karen’s parents both got sick suddenly and simultaneously, she helped them make difficult choices about health, housing, finances, and everything else as they gradually lost their independence. She is on a mission to make it easier for others to get their personal information organized.
We want to hear from you! Tell us your burning tidying questions or share stories about how KonMari has impacted your life. Find us at www.sparkjoypodcast.com and click “Ask Spark Joy” to leave a question or comment for a chance to be featured on next week’s show.
While you’re there, sign-up to join our Spark Joy podcast community and get notified when each episode airs. You can also join the Spark Joy podcast community on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter at the handle @sparkjoypodcast.
Book a custom Virtual Tidying Experience with For the Love of Tidy (https://fortheloveoftidy.com/konmari-tidying-lesson/tidy-a-z-what-to-expect-from-a-konmari-virtual-tidy/)
Join The Spark Joy Club today! (https://www.patreon.com/sparkjoy)
In this episode, you’ll enjoy:
- Karen's personal experience with helping her family make end of life decisions during an emergency inspired her brand, Life in Motion, which helps others who don't know where to start or what to do first
- Reasons why it's important organize vital information and plan the end of your life
- The KonMari clutter category that intersects with legacy management
- Kristyn's quest to reach the end of her personal to do list (https://fortheloveoftidy.com/konmari-tidy-tips/i-reached-the-end-of-my-to-do-list/)
- Where to start: planning for an emergency (medical and household)
- A review of Karen's Life in Motion Guide (https://shop.lifeinmotionguide.com/workbooks-and-printables/life-in-motion-guide-end-of-life-planning-workbook/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=sparkjoy) - the binder Kristyn is actively using to manage her important information (see exclusive discount code below)
- The inspiration behind Karen's guide and how it differs from other resources that help you make plans
- The importance of recognizing the process of life planning is in motion, with information that evolves over time
- How to securely protect your passwords (https://lifeinmotionguide.com/where-to-store-important-documents/) and other important codes
- The most essential things to focus on first when organizing your legacy
- Reasons people resist pulling this information together and common myths and mistakes. Karen's decision matrix (https://lifeinmotionguide.com/choose-a-healthcare-proxy/) to the rescue
- How to help loved ones organize their legacy and end of life plans
- Maintenance: how often you need to revisit the information you've gathered and shared
Karen’s favorite legacy organizing tip:
Don't think of this as something you're doing yourself. Do it for the people you love and trust the most
What's sparking the most joy for Karen:
Moving back to her apartment in Chicago after a four month long construction project
Connect with Karen at lifeinmotionguide.com (https://lifeinmotionguide.com/)
Exclusively for Spark Joy listeners, pick up a copy of Karen's Life in Motion Guide (https://shop.lifeinmotionguide.com/workbooks-and-printables/life-in-motion-guide-end-of-life-planning-workbook/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=sparkjoy) binder using code SPARK15 for a 15% discount.
"It's our responsibility as adults to not leave a mess for other people to clean up."
"The average person in the US and Canada is likely to live over nine years in poor health."
"Being organized facilitates prolonged independence by making it easier for others to help us."
"It's not enough to just gather this information or store it...you also need to share it."
"We can't predict, but we can prepare."
"I created [Life in Motion Guide] for the feeling I had when I was done."
*The Spark Joy Anniversary Give-A-Way contest prizes!*
Win one of three bundles consisting of _Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up_, signed by Marie Kondo, a fifty dollar gift certificate to the KonMari Shop (https://shop.konmari.com) to select your own Joy Sparking gift, and a two-hour Virtual Tidying Session from _For the Love of Tidy_!
Three lucky winners will receive a bundle of all these prizes!
To be eligible for all of the prizes above, all you need to do is head over to: www.sparkjoypodcast.com/itunes for detailed instructions on how to leave a review via iTunes. Once there, follow the Apple Podcast instructions to leave us a rating and review in iTunes to help us reach more ears, minds, and hearts.
*Most important step:* Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you left us a review and what screen name you left it under. This will act as your official entry. Don’t forget this step! It is the only way we can officially log you as entered into the contest.
Submit your star rating and review by *November 24, 2020*. We’ll announce the winners during our season finale “Best of” show that will air on December 1st.
***Contest runs from September 1 to November 24, 2020.* Winners will be announced during our Best of 2020 show on December 1, 2020****
You can find Karin Socci at The Serene Home (https://www.theserenehome.com/)
You can find Kristyn Ivey at For the Love of Tidy (https://fortheloveoftidy.com/) Special Guest: Karen Purze.